Saturday, February 15, 2014

The Art of Persuasion

This week in MCOM, we learned about three principles taught by Aristotle to help a writer appeal to their audience. The first area is ethos. This is basically where you let the audience know that you are a credible source for information. You must tell them why they should listen to you. You want the audience to think you are an expert in the area you are writing about. The second area is  logos. This is the appeal to reason. The audience needs to know the reasoning behind your argument and why your argument makes sense. Your argument must makes sense to their heads and their hearts. Speaking of hearts, that is the third area. This area is called pathos. By using pathos, you can emotionally touch your audience and have them feel happy, sad, or excited. If you use these three principles in your writing, you are sure to win the audience over to your point of view!

Image Credit: gocouponz.com

4 comments:

  1. You explained all of those so well! And I love your visual aid you gave us. I know that those always seem to help me remember. If we can develop all three of these in our writing, we would be pretty awesome, wouldn't we!? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Ashley. I didn't understand what each of those words meant when I read about them in the book. Now I do. Your visual really helps me to. It is always better to have a visual with brief explanations. Thank you for the post Michelle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post! :) I definitely think these are things to think about while writing and also talking with others. It will be good to implement this because it helps you understand how people think and how to get your point across!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do not think about these principles nearly as often as I should while writing. The way you put it makes so much more sense. If I implement these principles in my writing, it will become a lot more powerful and more convincing.

    ReplyDelete