Saturday, January 18, 2014
Was I Raised in a Barn?
A recent discussion in my writing and speaking for business class has made me pose the question, "Was I raised in a Barn?" Apparently there are all sorts of fancy-shamcy rules about how one is supposed to act during social gatherings, especially in business settings. Some of these rules are common knowledge, such as turning off your cell phone and chewing with your mouth closed. But, there are some rules that I find to be straight up bizarre! It really throws me off when I see table settings with more than one of each utensil. One is supposed to start at the outermost edge of the utensils, and move their way in as each course progresses throughout the meal. Does anyone else find this unnecessary? I do not think can be considered a travesty if one has to use the same knife, fork, and spoon for the entire meal. Also, who wants to worry about appropriate conversation topics, smiling enough, and avoiding fashion styles that will be distracting from the purpose of the event? It just sounds like one huge headache! I sincerely wonder how anyone can focus during any type of business discussion that takes place over a meal. I would be to caught up in the worry that I was making some huge etiquette blunder. Here is what it comes down to though. No, I was not raised in a barn, but that does not mean that I have perfect etiquette. Even if I find the rules of etiquette unnecessary or overwhelming, it is still important for me to know them. If I want to be considered a professional in my career field, I better at least be able to sit down and have a meal without offending my host with my barbaric ways.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I had the same thoughts. Every time I go to a restaurant, and I see those many utensils, I always wondered why so many of them, this week this class helped me a lot with that hahaha, perhaps we should ask the professor to have that kind of meal just to see how we would do, I think it would help a lot.
ReplyDeleteI seriously cracked up at your title of this post. I totally understand how you are feeling about this class, but don't you worry. The fab four will prevail and we will no longer feel so confused by mere utensils at the end of this whole thing :) We should probably have a group meeting at dinner to practice.
ReplyDelete